I consider myself to be a very loving and caring person. I love Maddie, my family, and my friends more than anything in the entire world. I throw myself into those relationships, so why can't I do that for myself?

This may seem like a weird way to start, but I know that so much of my unhappiness is my own doing and I need to learn how to change it. I was watching Oprah, yes Oprah, today and had to ask myself this question. She was talking about why her weight has gone back up again and her realization was that she wasn't loving herself. She was throwing herself into her work and avoiding spending time with herself and taking care of herself. She was not healthy or happy and her life and body reflected that.
So, I hear her say this and have to wonder what does loving oneself look like? Sound like? Most importantly, what does it feel like? I guess that I really don't know what self love is and how to it looks, how I am supposed to achieve it, and how I am supposed to start loving myself.
I was talking to Lisa and we both decided that neither one of us know what self love looks or feels like. It was good for me to hear that I am not alone in this quandary. If a person who seems to have all that I have ever wanted in life (husband and family) is that we all have doubts and questions. This was a great thing for me to realize and know that I can talk with my friends and get answers to my questions, or just discuss things that none of us have answers to!
I guess that I need to start with trying to set aside time for me each day. I know that this time should probably entail some kind of exercise so that my time will be spent being productive. I say this because some of my unhappiness is caused by my body and my body image, and exercise can help this. I will try to walk for five minutes more each and every day this week, and see how that goes. I will keep you posted...
If you have any ideas or suggestions about self love, please enlighten me and others!

5 comments:
Oh sweetheart, you are so far from alone in your thoughts it's not even funny. I think we need to get together for some serious girl talk. I don't know anyone who truly understands how to love his or herself fully. I also think sometimes that's beyond our grasp. Who knows!? Guess we'll just continue on this journey and support each other along the way!!!
Amen sister! I love the new pic of the shoes... I wish I had those. I might better love myself in those shoes:) We do need to have some serious girl talk, and I know that Lisa wants to get together soon. I talked with her for over an hour this evening and it was great! I miss my friends dearly!
Self love... self love. I'd never though of it this way... but the book "The five love languages" is really beneficial even if you're not in a relationship with another person. It's a really valid way of getting to know the ways in which you feel love and therefore identifying how it is that you need to love yourself. Just saying... I'm going to exercise because that's what everyone says I should do if I care about myself... is not going to make you feel loved unless that is truly your idea of love. It's a great read... quick. If you don't get it I'm getting it for you. I love you! I'd love to be apart of your suare=)
And if I come into any money, I'll buy you a pair of those Louboutins! And I think Auri meant soiree, not suare!
I have heard of the book and actually have looked into it before. I have taken the "quiz" as to what kind of love that I give and it probably would be a fabulous read! Thanks for the advice. Love you both tons and we will get together sometime this weekend! MWAH:)
Post a Comment