Wednesday, January 21, 2009

From MLK Jr. to President Obama--Dreams are a Reality NOW!


It was Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to have a Nation where we could stand together as one people divided only by the air between us, and yesterday, as a Nation, we embraced this idea as the 44th President of the United States of America, President Barack Obama (WOW!), was sworn in.

I am truly proud to be an American for the first time in many years and I know that many people are feeling the same way.  We still have so far to go, especially with the state of our country and our world, but yesterday we all made it happen TOGETHER.

President Obama was so eloquent and well spoken during his Inaugural Address and the part that resonates with me the most is when he stated:  

"This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed--why men and women and children of every race and every faith can join in celebration across this magnificent Mall, and why a man whose father less than sixty years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you and take a most sacred oath."

This was the culmination of many people's bloodshed, heartache, determination, courage, and honor.  I feel truly blessed and honored to be a part of this monumental movement sweeping our country!  I know that I want to do my part, inspire others to do their part, and communicate the necessity for change to all.  This would be the biggest and best honor anyone could bestow upon MLK and all the other Civil Rights activists.

I watched the Inauguration with my students and it was a very powerful and surreal experience. Many  of you have heard me bitch about my class and how hard this year is for me.  But hey, it's not always about me!  As we were watching, I looked around my room and just soaked it all in.  I realized that the little beings in my room were my future and it is my responsibility to make sure the I do everything that I can to provide opportunities for success to all of my students.  It was very eye opening to realize that their success in life can greatly effect and impact my life in my own future.  As hard as my class has been this year, they were incredibly respectful (a big push in my room) and they realized, for the most part, how big of deal this was. 

Who knows, I could have a future President in my room and I wan to know that I gave my all and did my part to instill strength, courage, respect, and responsibility in all my students who would do their part and learn from those willing to teach.  President Obama was right, we all have a responsibility to make the change happen and to take back our country and make it what we know it has been and what it can be again. 

So, President Obama, thank you for the words of wisdom, encouragement, and inspiration! Good luck and know that we are praying for you, your family, and our country.  We need to do it all together and we have just the man to lead the way!

3 comments:

Auri said...

Fabulous ripple! I love the thought of you helping to mold the minds of these children. It's not always easy... okay, it's rarely easy... I bring them into the world and you educate them. Keep up the good work!

Noelle said...

You can bring one into the world for me, ok? I will take care of it too, and educate it! It's a good deal. What do you think? Now that is a ripple...

Ms. Salti said...

That might work out well seeing how Auri's body has wanted another baby... hmmm... could be weird though. Would it be my HLP's kid, or my BFF's kid? That's one we're gonna have to work out! You need to blog lady. I need to hear more about your life that I've already heard!