Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Teacher, Not Parent! That is My Job...


I am beginning to wonder if I am supposed to be a parent and not a teacher...

I have recently been scolded by a parent for not holding up my part of the bargain, but as I understand it, parenting is not part of teaching.  It is not responsibility to make sure that this child takes home homework, does homework, and then brings homework back to school.  As I see it, those are all responsibilities of the parent.  Right?  If I am mistaken, please let me know. I am more than happy to remind said student of their homework and to make sure that it is written in the student's planner, but beyond carrying the homework home , I can't do any more than that.  

Please keep in mind that I teach 5th grade, not 1st or 2nd.  By 5th grade, the ten and eleven year old students should be mature enough and capable enough to start to take responsibility for their actions, especially homework.  It's not called, classwork, teacher work, school work, hallway work, or recess work; but HOMEWORK--to be done at home people!  I don't go home with my students (THANK GOD), so therefor my responsibility ends once they leave my classroom.

Can I just say that parents need to pull their heads out of their assess and start parenting their own children.  I am not a babysitter, a moral compass, a chef, or a nurse, but I play the parts of all these people every day!  I am not paid enough to even cover some of these professions, so I am a little pissed that I am expected to be all of these and be responsible for teaching children about Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Art, Health, PE, Science, and anything else that a bunch of suits on Capital Hill think I need to teach to our future leaders, doctors, nurses, criminals, and oh yeah, TEACHER's! I recently figured out that if I were running a daycare, or a babysitting service (what I feel like I am doing most days) I would be able to charge at least $5.00 an hour per child (and that is a FAB deal!).  If this was true, I would be making more than $100.00 an hour.  I am nowhere near that.  I make less than $30.00 an hour, so maybe I should only be taking care of 5.5 kids.   Now I could handle that!  I know that those five kids would make the grade, pass the test, and be successful!  

2 comments:

Ms. Salti said...

Damn, I was gonna have a few kids and send them to your classroom for you to raise. How dare you feel the need to actually get paid for the hard work you do, as opposed to the measly salary you get..

Auri said...

I thought the teacher was supposed to come home with the kids? You mean I'm supposed to be helping with homework? Well shit! We're way behind... =)